Ganglion or synovial cyst

Ganglion cysts are the most frequent benign formations of the hand.

They occur frequently in the joints of the hand and the wrist.
The most common place is the back of the wrist, on the palm of the hand and on the fingers.

They have a circular shape, can be soft or hard and are filled with clear gelatinous liquid.

The cause is attributed to inflammatory processes of the joints (arthritis) and tendons (tendinitis).
The cysts closest to the fingertips are usually associated with an arthritic osseous spur.
They may or may not be painful. In some cases they may cause joint mobility difficulties, produce nerve compression and local inflammatory processes.

Their size may increase and sometimes they disappear spontaneously.

TREATMENTS:

An aspiration with syringe and needle can be performed to remove the fluid from the cyst and decompress it.
This procedure is effective only in 10% of patients. The remaining 90% is recurrent after a while.

Surgery is indicated when the Ganglion is very large, painful or have failed minimally invasive treatments.
Surgery involves the removal of the cyst along with a part of the joint capsule or tendon sheath.
The surgery is not free of complications, nor does it ensure that the ganglion does not recidive.

Dr. Ricardo Hoogstra performs in the small and medium ganglions a perforation with Laser technology, through which drains the gelatinous content of the ganglion and immediately places a compressive splint that the patient must carry during the 20 days following the treatment.

The advantages of this treatment is that no needles or sharp elements are used, the light energy of the laser performs a minimal perforation, which allows the drainage of the contents, which closes alone.

If the patient makes an adequate immobilization and tries to avoid the activities that led to inflammation of the joint, the cure rate is much higher than with the aspiration puncture.

To ask about this treatment, please enter here.

Compartir en Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter