This type of pigmented lesions as the name implies describes the final stage of an inflammatory process suffered by the skin. The red area is the first evolutionary step and is due to vascular dilation, then comes the dark pigment.
This type of hyper pigmentation is frequent in patients doing waxing depilation with hot wax. The upper lip is usually the most affected area.
Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation are also observed on:
• Patients using Anti-Perspirants /Deodorants and that have allergy to any of its components. In this case the most affected areas are the armpits.
• Patient using garments, belts, decorative metallic elements that rubs the skin. When these elements rub the skin, this produces a redness and pigmentation later.
• Certain types of drugs such as tetracycline’s, sulfonamides, barbiturates, metronidazole, paracetamol, benzodiazepines, ibuprofen and others produce erythematic issues (inflammation) of the skin which end up with hyper pigmentation.
• Patients using perfumes and colognes containing derivatives of bergamot. Bergamot oil containing perfume produces a significant inflammatory process, with edema, vasodilatation and other processes ending in a pigmented stain in the contact area.
• Ablative laser treatments, chemical peels and other cosmetic treatments designed to rejuvenate the skin.
One of the latest treatments for hyper pigmentation treatment is the Helios II Laser.
Is a Diffractive Micro fractional laser technology combing the strengths of a true Q-switched Nd:YAG laser with Diffractive Optical Elements (DEO). Such combination and its use in dermatologic applications was devised and patented back in 2009 by Laseroptek CEO, Prof. Hong Chu.
Diffractive Micro Fractional technology takes advantage of converting a large area spot and converts it into 81 micro columns, each having exactly the same peak power and fluency solving at the same time the need for higher penetration and also the need for less recurrence of collateral damage that are so common in other systems.
Helios II is specially designed for melasma and all kinds of pigmented lesions that occur throughout the year on all skin types, even in dark and tanned skin.
The light energy from the Helios II in 1064nm Q-switched mode impacts the pigmented lesion deeply without irritating the skin, it is essential to treat all kinds of pigmented lesions such as post inflammatory hyper pigmentations, solar lentigines; etc.
This treatment must always be accompanied by the suspension of the causal element and be accompanied by photo protection.
To learn more about this treatment, please enter here.